On Day 37, everything that could have gone wrong… went wrong.
In preparing for this week’s work trip, I planned to wake up circa 4am (a miracle for anyone who knows me) and drive to the airport to take an early flight, putting me at a client meeting bright and early.
Not quite. The 2 hour drive turned into 4. I missed the only non-stop flight of the day. I couldn’t understand my friend, the GPS (which turn lady?!?!). I almost missed the 2nd flight. I just about peed my pants flying through a storm (apparently this is of NO concern to the pilots).
By the time we landed in random pit stop (ie layover point), I was ready to call it a day and head back to NYC.
I decided to regroup. I sat myself down, ate a couple bags of JetBlue (Blue) potato chips (I’m a fan) and had a double vodka (naturally).
Things turned up from there:
- Through methods of friendly waves and overstepping boundaries, I befriended the pilots of my next flight. They assured me that we would not intentionally fly directly into hurricane Isaac’s path (phew).
- I met the crew of the plane and prepped them for my on-board bloody-mary intake. (I even scored a free one!)
- I read my book of the moment: “White Girl Problems” – Babe Walker. (Don’t judge, just read)
- I enjoyed team bonding by the water (the upside of traveling for work)
- I ended the evening with a bath (my hotel go-to)
About turning it around:
Not easy. But when achieved: Awesome.